The Dick Show Forum
Sign in to follow this  
stevedave

Audio Equipment: Mixers

Thinking about buying a mixer, and with there a lot of hardware out there, does anyone have any recommendations for audio equipment? What should I consider when looking for features? To give some context, I don't know anything about audio equipment or recording so I don't know what to look for.  However, I am planning on using it for at least two mics and some extra channels for instruments.  Found some hardware, such as Yamaha MG10XU and a few others that are similar but wont bother posting them all. 

I realize a lot of decisions about the type of hardware might stem from: what are you trying to do? Realistically, I'm not sure yet.  Probably just for recording a couple instruments, but not necessarily at the same time, and most really just need something for mics and inputs for equipment (guitars, bass).  What should I be looking for in the hardware and what should I be aware of in terms of features I may, or may not use.

In terms of 'what is my price range?', let's ignore that as I'm interested to hear about the full gamut -- with the exception of some crazy studio-level boards, because I'm not trying to build a studio, just something for me to dick around with.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I'm interested as well. I'm an audio novice but for voice I've just been using either a headset or $50 mic I got from amazon and then leveling the audio in post, audacity or something similar. There are a few people on the forum that play instruments that may have some good input.

Edit: Moved this to the "Music" etc forum, might get better exposure here.

Yeah, makes more sense.  I was being lazy with topic categorization.  Was going to move it myself, but glad it was already moved.

Edited by stevedave
  • Like 1

I buy no hardware and get judged for it by other people. By that, I'm not counting the discontinued Guitar Rig Pedal and the Rocksmith USB Cable.

If I had to, however, I'd be recording audio using a cheap USB solution (like the Scarlett series) simply as an audio source and then mixing through an assortment of VST's in Reaper. People want giant mixers and tons of gigantic audio cables running around and I don't get it. There's probably some purpose but it does not apply to me. I just need some relatively clean audio running through a USB connection most of the time, and then I just wire audio into the Guitar Rig 5 VST and then GlissEQ and Elephant from Voxengo.

I'd suggest looking into a non-mixer solution because I know those can be insanely expensive while also being a pain.

• Like 1

I swear by Cockos Reaper. It's $60 and fully-featured excluding a ton of proprietary effects, imo. None of that. You gotta fill it up yourself.

lA ot of people like Protools but as I'm not an audio engineer, I am fine with not shelling out the money that. I pair Reaper and the Voxengo Suite, as well as Guitar Rig 5 if I need special effects. (I use it for everything including but not limited to guitars.)

Short of that, if I need a real basic cut I will just open Audacity.

My post got wrecked but I'm leaving it for sagaciouszu to figure out.

Edited by wauterboi

Sorry late on this. I read it then forgot to comment before.

If you arn't trying to record at the same time, cop yourself a Scarlett-2i2 audio interface and use some kinda software as wauterboi suggested. At that point what kinda software you want to use is another question.

https://focusrite.com/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

You should be able to fine one of these used pretty easily and cheaply as they are sorta a solid entry level interface since they are a good value.